Boosting vocabulary and language linked to provision
EYFS mini course
This is a mini course designed specifically for EYFS colleagues with a focus on:
Books, language. vocabulary linked to provision:
- How can books support the development of vocabulary & language linked to provision?
- How can books linked to provision support sustained play and help to achieve higher quality play?
- How can books support adults to model a wider range of language? How can books support adult creativity that will lead to better support for pupils' play and learning in provision?
- How can books be combined, e.g. fiction & nonfiction, multiple books on the same topic, linked to images / video / artefacts / trips & visits.
- How can books enable adults to introduce more challenge?
- What type of activities might be combined with books to provide maximum impact?
- How can adults develop vocabulary linked to provision?
- How might books help adults with modelling play in areas of provision?
The course comprises of a series of videos that can be watched by the EYFS leader / shared as part of twilight training sessions in school for the EYFS team. Watch the clips individually or display on a large screen. Accompanying resources can be printed to aid professional discussion and joint planning. Pause the video clips often to think and discuss points.
There are case studies on how books, vocabulary and language development can be linked to : small and large construction, vehicles and transport, the kitchen and home corner, vets and pets, animal homes, utilising instruction texts. However, the principles can be applies to any areas of provision.
The EYFS leader can choose how many of the videos are watched as part of training sessions and the sessions can be spread out across the year, providing opportunities for teachers to return to key professional development learning points.
If you would like everyone in your EYFS team to have individual access to the course, get in touch with us for discounted group rates.
Increase the level of vocabulary challenge. Gain ideas for interventions. Utilise the approach with any area of provision.
Video tutorials help teachers and adults working in EYFS to build knowledge and consider how theory can be turned into practice.
Consider the role knowledge plays in developing sustained play in a role play area. How can the strategy be applied to other role play areas?
Vicky has over 20 years of teaching and leadership experience. She currently works as a consultant and trainer in the UK supporting primary school teachers and leaders. She delivers face-to-face courses, bespoke support in school and online courses with teachable. The extension to online courses means that more teachers and leaders can benefit from her expertise and experience. "Vicky is a fantastic trainer - very inspirational and knowledgeable." "Exceeded expectation and excited to share with school staff." "Useful resources and excellent activities that I have been able to use in twilight training sessions in school. Really enjoyed the training. Vicky is a generous and engaging course leader." "Great illustrations of how to really embed learning." Vicky understands how busy teachers are and designs courses that are very practical. She also understands the demands of being a leader and ensures courses enable best practice to be shared in school.
You can try the first course session for free by clicking the preview button on the course outline.
Frequently Asked Questions
We hope that you thoroughly enjoy the course and that the children you work with benefit from your investment in training.