This course is aimed at teachers who wish to develop and strengthen the teaching of reading comprehension in their classroom and English leaders wishing to develop and improve the teaching of reading comprehension across the school (ages 5-12).
- This is primarily a training course aimed at deepening and extending teacher knowledge of how to teach reading comprehension effectively. We believe that having a extensive knowledge of education theory and practice is empowering and ensures teachers are well positioned to create effective lessons that meet the needs of the pupils in their class.
- All our courses are based on a firm foundation of research with a commitment to share best practices.
- Embedded within the course are fabulous resources to ensure that theory can be turned into excellent classroom practice.
- The course is divided into clear sections, helping participants to set milestones for study and enabling teachers to easily re-visit sections.
- Our courses are multi-layered, allowing teachers to choose the level of expertise they wish to gain through their online studies. The structure allows users to customise their route through the training materials ensuring that teachers can devote more time to sections particularly relevant to their role, e.g. early years teaching, supporting pupils with reading difficulties, leadership of reading.
- Teachers will find the course to be an incredibly useful reference tool that they will want to return to again and again.
- Although the course is primarily designed for UK teachers, educators from around the world will find the lessons, resources and materials have universal appeal.
- A central plank of the course is the 'Big 10' reading comprehension framework that breaks comprehension into 10 core competencies. The framework can be applied to any text, including wordless books, and can be utilised by teachers in all Key Stages. It offers a common language for teachers and pupils to discuss reading comprehension.
- With over 30 video clips and over 10 hours of footage, alongside a wide range of resources and guidance materials, the course is excellent value for money.
This course is an indispensable resource for teachers giving insightful guidance into developing classroom teaching. It offers practical guidance on how teachers can best support children to develop reading comprehension based on the latest research and experiences in real classrooms. It includes step-by-step guidance and a wide range of excellent classroom resources.
This course is for teachers who want to learn how to teach reading; for teachers who want to increase their knowledge of research and good practice in this field; for teachers who want to learn how to support struggling readers; for teachers who want to create classrooms that come alive; for teachers who want to promote a lifelong love of reading; for teachers who want to be reading experts.
Fabulous resources for teaching pupils reading comprehension strategies
A wide range of resources to promote book talk
Stacks of worksheets and templates for pupils to use with any book
StartWhat makes a good reader? Video introduction to the Big 10 reading comprehension skills (11:40)
StartDecoding V Comprehension (8:59)
StartA video and booklet explaining each of the Big 10 reading comprehension strategies (23:37)
StartActivity: How can the Big 10 be applied to different types of text (6:14)
StartAn example of pupils talking about the comprehension skills they use (4:45)
StartPlanning introductory video (17:38)
StartHow to plan using the Big 10 reading comprehension strategies
StartVideo example : Planning using a lift the flap book (22:05)
StartVideo example : Planning from a picture book (14:06)
StartVideo example: Planning from a whole class novel (11:09)
StartPlanning for pupils with reading difficulties
StartBig 10 Useful Resources
Vicky has over 20 years of teaching and leadership experience. She currently works as a consultant and trainer in the UK supporting primary school teachers and leaders. She delivers face-to-face courses, bespoke support in school and online courses with teachable. The extension to online courses means that more teachers and leaders can benefit from her expertise and experience. "Vicky is a fantastic trainer - very inspirational and knowledgeable." "Exceeded expectation and excited to share with school staff." "Useful resources and excellent activities that I have been able to use in twilight training sessions in school. Really enjoyed the training. Vicky is a generous and engaging course leader." "Great illustrations of how to really embed learning." Vicky understands how busy teachers are and designs courses that are very practical. She also understands the demands of being a leader and ensures courses enable best practice to be shared in school.
Frequently Asked Questions
We hope that you thoroughly enjoy the course and that the children you work with benefit from your investment in training.