This course is aimed at teachers who wish to develop and strengthen the teaching of reading comprehension in their classroom and English leaders wishing to develop and improve the teaching of reading comprehension across the school (ages 5-12).
- This is primarily a training course aimed at deepening teacher knowledge of how to teach reading effectively.
- Embedded within the course are fabulous resources to ensure that theory can be turned into excellent classroom practice.
- The course is divided into clear sections and is based around the framework of the 'Big 10' reading comprehension strategies.
- The structure allows users to customise their route through the training materials.
- Teachers will find the course to be an incredibly useful reference tool that they will want to return to again and again.
- Although the course is primarily designed for UK teachers, educators from around the world will find the lessons, resources and materials have universal appeal.
- With over 30 video clips and over 6.5 hours of footage, alongside a wide range of resources and guidance materials, the course is excellent value for money.
This course is an indispensable resource for teachers giving insightful guidance into developing classroom teaching. It offers practical guidance on how teachers can best support children to develop reading comprehension based on the latest research and experiences in real classrooms. It includes step-by-step guidance and a wide range of excellent classroom resources.
This course is for teachers who want to learn how to teach reading; for teachers who want to increase their knowledge of research and good practice in this field; for teachers who want to learn how to support struggling readers; for teachers who want to create classrooms that come alive; for teachers who want to promote a lifelong love of reading; for teachers who want to be reading experts.
Vicky has over 20 years of teaching and leadership experience. She currently works as a consultant and trainer in the UK supporting primary school teachers and leaders. She delivers face-to-face courses, bespoke support in school and online courses with teachable. The extension to online courses means that more teachers and leaders can benefit from her expertise and experience. "Vicky is a fantastic trainer - very inspirational and knowledgeable." "Exceeded expectation and excited to share with school staff." "Useful resources and excellent activities that I have been able to use in twilight training sessions in school. Really enjoyed the training. Vicky is a generous and engaging course leader." "Great illustrations of how to really embed learning." Vicky understands how busy teachers are and designs courses that are very practical. She also understands the demands of being a leader and ensures courses enable best practice to be shared in school.
StartVideo introduction to the Big 10 reading comprehension skills (11:40)
StartWhat makes a good reader? An introduction to the 'Big 10' reading comprehension strategies (8:59)
StartA video explaining each of the Big 10 reading comprehension straegies (23:37)
StartActivity: How can the Big 10 be applied to different types of text (6:14)
StartAn example of pupils talking about the comprehension skills they use (4:45)
StartHow to plan using the Big 10 reading comprehension strategies
StartVideo example : Planning using a lift the flap book (22:05)
StartVideo example : planning from a picture book (14:06)
StartVideo example: Planning from a whole class novel (11:09)
StartBig 10 useful resources
Frequently Asked Questions
We hope that you thoroughly enjoy the course and that the children you work with benefit from your investment in training.