Why choose this course?
- Suitable for all colleagues: The course can be completed by a single individual seeking to increase their understanding and expertise in reading, or by the whole school. Pathways and examples ensure that there are suitable materials for a teacher in EYFS as well as those teaching in upper KS2.
- Modular: The flexible, menu driven system allows colleagues to jump to any part of the course. The course is divided into clear modules making it easy for colleagues study in 'chunks' with a particular focus, e.g. a focus on developing 'inference' or a focus on 'difficulties pupils encounter' or 'ways of reading a text with a class'.
- Depth: This is an extensive course which will enable you to become an expert in teaching reading comprehension. If completing the whole course, it is expected that it would take approximately 1 year of study, taking into account the need to try out elements of the course in the classroom as colleagues progress through the materials. Alternatively, colleagues might choose a particular focus and hone in on this element of the course for a term.
- Problem solving: This course will help you to diagnose and solve problems that are holding back pupil progress.
- Range of resources: Video tutorials, audits & checklists, workbooks, printables, think pieces, classroom resources, leadership tools - all at your finger tips.
- Research & good practice: Based on a firm foundation of research, colleagues can be reassured that the training will have impact.
- Framework - an easy to use framework supports colleagues in self-assessing their own practice and developing pupil comprehension skills.
If you are a primary teacher, this course will help you to improve reading comprehension skills of pupils and help you tackle common problems. If you are an English leader, there are additional resources aimed at equipping you to effectively lead practice across the school. If you are the SEND leader, you will gain valuable insights into difficulties pupils may be experiencing. Leaders can use the materials in professional development sessions and meetings, e.g. watching a video tutorial or discussing a think piece as part of a phase meeting. Study can be undertaken individually or in phases or as a whole school.
“Extremely useful. The course is already having an impact on reading.”
Plot your own route through the course. Re-visit sections as many times as you like. Set targets for yourself or your teams, e.g. improving the use of questioning, developing pupil inference skills, helping pupils to make connections. Build your knowledge of common issues that hold back pupil progress and find practical ways forward.
The course takes into account the needs of practitioners from EYFS to Year 6.
Fabulous resources for teaching pupils reading comprehension strategies
A wide range of resources to promote book talk
Stacks of worksheets and templates for pupils to use with any book
Video tutorials & guidance booklets & think pieces.
A range of think pieces, such as this 'inference' focus think piece.
A variety of study booklets, audits and checklists support colleagues as they work through the course.
There are resources to help teachers get the most from the online course, such as planning sheets and note taking templates.
Vicky has over 20 years of teaching and leadership experience. She currently works as a consultant and trainer in the UK supporting primary school teachers and leaders. She delivers face-to-face courses, bespoke support in school and online courses with teachable. The extension to online courses means that more teachers and leaders can benefit from her expertise and experience. "Vicky is a fantastic trainer - very inspirational and knowledgeable." "Exceeded expectation and excited to share with school staff." "Useful resources and excellent activities that I have been able to use in twilight training sessions in school. Really enjoyed the training. Vicky is a generous and engaging course leader." "Great illustrations of how to really embed learning." Vicky understands how busy teachers are and designs courses that are very practical. She also understands the demands of being a leader and ensures courses enable best practice to be shared in school.
You can try the first course session for free by clicking the preview button on the course outline.
Frequently Asked Questions
We hope that you thoroughly enjoy the course and that the children you work with benefit from your investment in training.